Thứ Năm, 28 tháng 3, 2013

Nothing Much Has Changed

Ban Ta Klang Elephant Village

It’s 2013. The time when information is available at the tips of your fingers. The time when the world is so connected, whatever trends at one end of the world would catch on in the other in the matters of hours and days.

Not too long ago, a person I just met asked me just about all of the routine questions.

Her: So, what nationality are you?

Ding. Routine question #1.

Me: I’m Thai.

Her: From Taiwan?

Ding. #2

Me: No. Thais are from Thailand. Taiwanese are from Taiwan.

Her: Oh. So, Bangkok?

Me: (surprised, actually) Yes.

Her: Do you ride elephants?

Me: Yes. My dad only uses our rickshaw on the weekend.

Her: Really?

Me: No.

Sure, she skipped “What nationality is your husband? American?” and that “Oh she must’ve been a mail order bride and/or rescued prostitute” look that briefly registered on her face before moving on to, “So, how did you guys meet?”

True, she also skipped, “I LOVE Thai food! Pad Thai is my favorite!”

But it’s 2013. Six whole years after this incident.

Elephants?

Really?

  1. Still preparing to go to Thailand BufferShare Well, I have gotten a lot of my stuff together. I have a list of the 50 million vaccinations...
  2. Make it spicy BufferShare My British husband really likes spicy food. When we were dating, we went to Thailand for a holiday and...
  3. Love or Trade? BufferShare Reading the blog from thibodi called Thailand Rocked My Life, and his remarks about Thai women, I feel I...
  4. How patriotic are Thai people? BufferShare (Wow! My technophobic self has finally figured where the link to blog on this website is!) “So… They proceeded...
  5. Lucky Elephants Go to Haven BufferShare One year ago I visited the Elephant Nature Park north of Chiang Mai. The camp was created by Sangduen...

Scroll down to leave a comment about this article. Thanks.




Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét