Thứ Năm, 18 tháng 4, 2013

The David Beckham Temple in Bangkok

beckham_2

About six years ago the BBC had a story about an image of David Beckham that could be found at a Thai temple in Bangkok. I had forgotten all about it until I spotted one of the names of the BRT stations which rang a bell with me. So, while I was exploring the BRT bus route I thought I would check it out. It is now very convenient to go to this temple as it is right next to BRT Wat Pariwat. You walk down a lane until you reach the main buildings. I asked a nun if this was the right temple for David Beckham but she had never heard of him. Obviously she doesn’t watch English football. But, she took me to a monk who does!

beckham_1

The monk confirmed to me that Wat Pariwat was indeed the famous David Beckham temple. However, he said in the last few years hardly anyone has come to see the image of the footballer. The building with the blue roof is normally locked but he asked someone to go and open it for me.

beckham_3

This is the main Buddha shrine inside the chapel. It is easier to find it open on “wan phra” days which are the Buddhist holy days which coincide with the phases of the moon. If you find it locked then they don’t mind opening it for you.

beckham_4

To the right of the Buddha image in the far corner you will find that one of the images decorating the base to be very familiar. It is indeed the famous English footballer David Beckham! Watch my video clip to help you find the exact location.

beckham_5

It is also worth visiting around the back of the temple alongside the Chao Phraya river. I was told that this is a popular location in the evenings where people come to eat and also feed the fish. The people there were really kind to me and gave me a free iced fruit drink! Click here for location on a map.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét